View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sun, Mar-21-04, 09:47
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Packaged products which I think are good.

After 1 year on Atkins, I can give you two thumbs up on the 40 types of products below:

1) Bob's Red Mill Golden Flaxseed (more of a whole food)
2) Bob's Red Mill Almond Flour (more of a whole food)
3) CarbSense or MiniCarb Zero Carb Bake mix (about as close to regular flour for replacement cooking as you can get)
4) http://www.deepdiscountnutrition.com Low Carb Emporium's 7-grain fiber bagels in many flavors. (These are all SOOOOO good--best bread substitute, 1 net carb per bagel gram, so you can eat a 4 gram bagel with about 4 grams net carbs--they make fabulous bagel pizzas).
5) DaVinci's Sugar Free Vanilla Syrup (a must for fancy coffee)
7) Hood Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage - Whole (blended with strawberries and splenda, makes a wonderful milkshake, far superior in taste than any of the packaged shaekes). Other good syrups, for pancakes Atkins Pancake Syrup is good, but runny, Log Cabin makes a SF syrup with good flavor and texture but watch out for the maltitol.
8) Hood Carb Countdown Dairy Beverage - Chocolate (warmed up makes an excellent cup of hot chocolate, very satisfying).
9) FlaxOMeal - our family favorite is Strawberries & Cream.
10) HomePride White Fiber Bread (a moist white-bread lookalike with 10 grams carbs - 4 grams fiber per slice)--I make kids pb&j with this.
11) Smuckers - all natural creamy peanut butter--I make the kids pb&j with this.
12) Smuckers - low sugar concord grape jelly--I make the kids pb&j with this.
13) low carb tortillas - La Tortilla Factory are always safe with the carb count, however some new ones have popped up on the market which are very good--be careful, however, of the net carb count. Some of the manufacturers are changing recipes on the LC stuff and making the net carbs skyrocket
14) Splenda in the bag, the box, and the packets. I don't use sugar at home any more.
15) Atkins Lemon Poppyseed Muffin Mix - with an extra cup of splenda, an extra egg, and a cup of flaxmeal, makes a very moist and tasty lemon cake. Add unsweetened Baker's Chocolate to change to lemon chocolate cake.
16) Atkins Morning Start Apple Crisp Bars - sweetened mostly with glycerine tend to be less stalling or gassy for me.
17) Hood Carb Countdown Yogurt - THIS is the perfect lc yogurt. Dannon LC yogurt - tastes great but small portions.
18) Various LC Chocolate - Russell Stover Sugar Free Chocolate - even in chocolate easter bunnies and chocolate eggs. Carb Watchers Gourmet Sugar-Free chocolates--decadently creamy. Carbolite Chocolate Peanut Butter Cup & faux M&M's and peanut M&M's and their sister product At Last fortified with vitamins. Atkins Endulge Caramel Nut Chew.
19) Baskin Robbins Sugar Free Hard Candy - mint chocolate chip is very good.
20) Regular but low carb snacks - Giant Slim Jim's, David Sunflower Seeds in the shell, Sunkist Dry Roasted Almonds, Hula Princess Macadamia nuts, various brands of pork rinds.
21) The plethora of Low Carb ice cream out there - Blue Bunny has a new low carb line with double strawberry, vanilla bean, and chocolate almond fudge which are all very good. The Atkins Endulge ice cream is wonderful and made with high quality ingredients. We also like the Breyers LC ice cream, but it is a little higher in net carbs. I keep looking for the Ben and Jerry's Carb Karma but have yet to find it.
22) Instant Gourmet low carb soups - very good and very clean ingredients.
23) CarbORite cereal bars - taste very good -- blueberry, strawberry, and cinnamon (but warning - lots of maltitol and low on vitamins). It's a good cookie craving substitute.
24) Land O Lakes - half and half in individual containers. Do not need to refrigerate, so great for travelling.
25) Salad Dressings & Mayonnaise - my goodness there are so many regular dressings with 1 carb per serving. One of my favorites is Wal-Mart's Great Value Caesar Dressing. Mustard mixed with a 1 carb Ranch makes a very good lc veggie dip. Litehouse carries a line of great salad dressing where even the bleu cheese is 1 gram of carbs per serving.
26) Franks Red Hot sauce.
27) San Antonio Farms - Thick and Chunky Salsa (Sam's Club) 1 gram net carb per tbsp and clean ingredients. Just about any brand of non-sweet pickles and olives out there.
28) Sadaf Pure Grapeseed oil & Spectrum Naturals grapeseed oil cooking spray. If you have virgin olive oil and grapeseed oil in your kitchen, you can cook anything. Grapeseed oil is THE BEST cooking, stirfry, and baking oil I have ever ever ever used.
29) Curry Flavored Pumpkorn - intensely flavorful and nutritious. Roasted pumpkin seeds are awesome. You can also buy them a little cheaper in bulk at a natural foods store.
30) Rudi's Organic Whole Grain Bread. Food for life also makes a decent LC bread. The Atkins bread mixes aren't too bad.. I amplify with an egg.
31) Diet Rite & Fruit2Oh - soft drinks sweetened with Splenda.
32) Sugar Free Jello and Diet Code Red Mt. Dew--although not sweetened with Splenda, still make a tasty lc treat now and then.
33) Hormel real bacon crumbles & pepperoni - wonderful salad toppings
34) Fresh Express Garden Salad - lasts the longest in the refrigerator--carrots are negligible and add a little extra vitamins. Organic Farms, I think that's the brand, bags up good leaf spinach that is hydrowashed and also lasts for a while in the refrigerator.
35) Oscar Meyer All Beef Franks - one gram of carbs per wiener
36) Smithfield Quik-to-Fix (frozen) Beef Patties - no bad stuff in there, and wonderful quick hamburgers. Jimmy Dean Regular Fresh Pork Sausage (no msg or nitrates), frozen links, and Country Cousin frozen sausage patties are good, too.
37) El Monterey - frozen guacamole
38) Michael Angelo's - pepperoni and cheese lc version of hot-pockets
39) Tone's Seasonings and bouillon cubes. Check the carb counts.
40) The Spice Hunter Seasonings - Curry (outstanding)