#10   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 15:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 338/253/210 Male 5'11"
BF:
Progress: 66%

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
Bingo. It was a grass roots revolution. Everyone knows at least 1 person who lost like a ridiculous amount of weight doing "that crazy atkins diet that will cause an instant heart attack and cause your kidneys to shut down". Then they decided to try it, and waddya know, it's not so crazy.

I like the analogy of movies -- you can have high-budget, heavily-marketed movies (Waterworld, Incredible Hulk) flop dramatically because they don't work. You can also have movies that do work, and were low-cost that sweep the country because they have great word-of-mouth (Big Fat Greek Wedding, Blair Witch Project).

Low carb is like one of those movies -- it's got great word of mouth. It never had the marketing push that various low fat, liquid, or starvation diets had. But it didn't need the marketing -- it works, and that's precisely how I got on it. I had never even heard of Dr. Atkins before 2003. I'd probably seen the book or something, but if I'd been asked who he was, I wouldn't have been able to tell you. A friend lost 80 pounds, and lost it very easily. I've now lost 60 pounds, and have set 3-4 other people on it. This chain will continue, because low carb works.

It's now got the attention of various interests who will market it, and some of the stuff they market will be crap. Some will be great.

Quote:
Originally Posted by ItsTheWooo
As more LC alternatives come out, people will find less temptation to stray, and staying LC will be easier.

Yeah. It does help relieve some monotony to spread some low carb BBQ sauce on ribs, or to throw grilled chicken and veggies into a LC tortilla, or to have a half cup of ice cream sometimes. I'd still be on this woe without those things, but they do help me from time to time.