View Single Post
  #23   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 09:17
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

There arent many drinking 5 cups of OJ and 8 slices of white bread a day either. I think eating a variety of foods like eggs, spinach, mixed greens, strawberries and raspberries that are all high in folate and other good stuff is better for you than taking a synthetic form of it.

The article unfairly targets low carb diets when clearly they state that you would need 8 slices of white bread to get the needed amount, so obviously the average american diet is lacking in folate.

I also find that low carbers, from what I have experienced tend to eat more fruits and veggies, especially in the form of leafy greens than the average american diet. I certainly know I am eating way more veggies than I have ever eaten in my life. That would probably mean that those on low carb diets are getting more folate and from natural sources instead of fortified white flour.

All that had to be said was folate is important and you should take a multivitamin to make sure you are getting enough. And eat fruits and veggies.