View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Mar-20-04, 07:42
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Sometimes I really have to question LC products. Taste aside, when looking at the list of ingredients I am frustrated to see the main ingredients of some of these items still being refined flour and such. Also, many are concerned with the use of soy and a lot of these products contain soy.

The jury is still out in our house about whether or not these products are worth the convenience. I have recipes for crackers and sauces that I'll break down and buy simply because I don't have time to make them, but at what cost? They're expensive products (supply and demand), some of them have a very odd taste (being very nice here), and it seems as though some of these companies aren't paying attention to ingredients (which is the whole reason I started LCing in the first place - ingredients are important!).

Unfortunately, HFS are starting to carry more and more low carb products, and people think if they buy these products in a HFS that it's healthy for them. I mean, that's an intuitive assumption, right?

I'm not saying all LC products are bad. We buy the HP Hood milk (although I don't know what all the ingredients are in there....) all the time. It's nice to have a lower carb milk and not feel guilty when I have a bowl of Gram's Gourmet Cinnamon Toast Flax 'n' Nut Crunchies (which are excellent, btw). I'm just guessing this is going to be another marketing game like with the low-fat fad and people will stop reading ingredients lists since it's labeled healthy on the box!