#38   ^
Old Fri, Mar-19-04, 10:05

Plan: Atkins OWL 30g
Stats: 150/135/125 Female 66"
BF:?/18%/15%
Progress: 60%

Quote:
Originally Posted by B.B.B.
I should also ad...do you like the tern FAT or being called FAT? Skinny is just as negative!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!! Ask someone who is slim how they feel about the term SKINNY...they will tell you it's like being called fat. Sadly as much as people judge those that are over weight...people judge those that are slim...saying stuff like "oh she must be anorexic" or she "she probably starves herself"...as someone with Hypothyroidism who used to be 'skinny' I don't like that word at all. My mom is 5'4 and weighs 105 pounds...and gets called skinny all the time....it hurts her. Please do not use that term unless you want people to call you fat!

BBB--I am truly sorry if I offended anyone by referring to them as "skinny". I guess I would love to be called "skinny", which at this point ain't ever gonna happen. What I really meant was people who are already slender (and yes, I recognize that's a very subjective word in itself) doing Atkins to lose weight beyond what some people might consider healthy. I don't think there's any question, at least on this board, that Atkins can benefit anyone's health, regardless of their weight. So I think Atkins can be appropriate for thin, slender, svelte, lean, trim (I'm trying to think of a word here that won't offend) people as well as the rest of us who would like to lose weight. Of course, in that circumstance I think they need to adjust Atkins so that weight is maintained. But what I'm saying is, doesn't there come a point where most reasonable people will agree that further weight loss is not healthy? For example, if someone at 5'6" is already 115 lb. but wants to get down to 85 or 90 lb., should we encourage her and give her unconditional support? Or should we have the nerve to suggest, at the expense of offending the poster or someone else on the board, that this goal weight is unhealthy?