View Single Post
  #14   ^
Old Wed, Mar-17-04, 16:10
living kaizen

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 510/406/195 Male 6 feet baby...
BF:
Progress: 33%

Let me help with something here. Until you have been where these people have, you simply don't understand. When you can't stand up long enough to brush your teeth and moving just plain hurts, the idea of going for a walk or the gym just doesn't exist.

When you've been on 9 or 10 1200 calorie (or less) per day diets and failed constantly, you don't see calorie restriction as being the answer either.

People who are more than 200 pounds overweight have gotten there for a lot of reasons, but I can assure you that we don't want to be there. I've had constant battles with myself, including truly doubting my sanity.

I've been on diets since I was 7 years old. I've been to/on TOPS, WW, Jenny Craig, Nutrisystem, Overeater's Anonymous, Optifast, bariatric physicians and God knows what else.

LC is the last stop for me before WLS. I have until October 2006 to get my act together. I'm using every weapon in my power to do it, including Therapy, Hypnosis or Accupuncture if need be.

But don't think WLS an easy way out, don't think people like that aren't suffering EVERY day. It's scary as hell, but we have to be honest about dieting. Every study shows that long term (more than 3 years) , dieting (or call it a WOE) works < 5% of the time for people with 30 or less pounds to lose. The success rate goes down drastically at > 100 lbs. The efficacy rate for gastric bypass is in excess of 40% with a 0.5% mortality rate. The numbers would point to WLS as the only proven method for long term significant weight reduction.

Look around and see how many success stories this board has had since 2001. There aren't a lot compared to the numbers that have joined, and I intend to be one of them. But if something happens and I do fail at this, I can honestly say I've tried everything.

H