Old Mon, Mar-15-04, 13:26
Registered Member

Plan: SPII IS/BOAG
Stats: 186/136/140 Female 5' 5"
BF:A lot/18%/20%
Progress: 109%

Quote:
Originally Posted by lakookoo
Just as a sidebar, it occurred to me the other day to put in my goal weight and "goal measurements" into mybodycomp.com and see what my future held. To my surprise, the program dished out exactly the same percentage of body fat to my future (much lighter!) self that it has to the current me

I've noticed this too, both with mybodycomp.com and some other calculators like the one at am-i-fat.com, because of the particular equations they're using -- if you lose weight and inches proportionately (a good thing!), the equation will still come up with the same BF%, especially if you're an hourglass shape to start with. Mybodycomp.com tells me I'm about 8% higher than electrostatics or the US Navy method calculation, and am-i-fat.com clocks me in at a whopping 33%, nearly TWICE my actual body fat. I've actually fiddled around with numbers at am-i-fat.com a bit, and I actually come out lower if I put in my current waist and ADD several inches to my hips (and I've got a good waist-hip ratio to start with).

The US Navy method is the best of the measurement equations, IMHO, and comes very close to water-displacement testing according to some published research. There's a calculator at http://www.he.net/~zone/prothd2.html, and I'm pretty sure the calculator on the official Zone website (
http://www.zoneperfect.com/Site/con...lator_Women.asp) is based on the Navy method too.

Trustycat, going strictly based on your height and weight, you probably are in the 15-20% range. You may *feel* flabby, but it's pretty unlikely that at 5'3" you have less than 80 lbs of LBM unless you have a wasting disease or very advanced anorexia, in which cases you'd be hospitalized and being tube-fed instead of walking around doing Pilates and posting here . Sometimes it's best to go by how much bone structure and muscle definition you can see in the mirror. While it's different for everyone, depending on where you deposit your fat, I started seeing my pelvic girdle and lower rib cage at about 20%. My calves and shoulders started to look really cut at about 19%, and some of my upper ribs started to show a bit as well. 18% is usually about the point where your thighs don't touch at the top if you stand with knees and ankles together. If you can see a six-pack, you're usually somewhere between 14-16% (for women, that is).