Registered Member

Plan: no sugar/no flour/no tran
Stats: 172/145/140 Female 5' 7.5"
BF:
Progress: 84%
Default from Ideal Diet newsletter - lc and gout

Low Carb Diet and Gout

I recently received this letter from an IDEAL DIETER:

"This weekend, my husband had another gout flair up (his third in 9 months). His kidneys were damaged about 3 years ago with high-blood pressure, so their efficiency is reduced by like 25% or so each. Anyway, this makes him prone to gout because he doesn't efficiently remove uric acid from his system.

His Dr. has him on several medications (statins for cholesterol and a variety of blood pressure meds), and my husband has been avoiding the use of the Allopurinol because he "takes enough pills already and that may hurt my liver". But when gout hits, he's down for days in major pain. So he takes Allopurinol for awhile. His Dr. has told him he must take it continuously to "prevent the build up of uric acid" and because we eat lower-carb, I am left wondering if this is partly my fault.

When the gout attack hit in December, I restructured our meals to have less meat and more starch, trying to tip the scales away from purine production, but the results were that my husband gained water weight, saw his blood pressure climb, we both felt more hungry and he told me to stop: go back to low-carb because he preferred the benefits, even if it meant getting gout. *sigh*

I researched more and have been aiming at protein choices that are lowest in purines (chicken, eggs, cheese, some fish...) but gout came anyway this weekend. I researched some more and decided to try cherries. I had him eat about 30 cherries for breakfast on Sunday, another 10 for lunch, 10 more at dinner.. by Monday morning, he could walk. We continued with cherries at breakfast and again last night with dinner. This morning he says is foot feels fine.

I can't believe the Allopurinol that he started taking on Saturday night could have been responsible for such a quick change (it wasn't before in his previous 2 attacks), so the enzyme (or whatever it is) from the cherries must have played a part - wow!

So here are my questions for you:

1. What actually triggers the uric acid to form crystals? Could it be related to the blood pressure or cholesterol drugs that he takes?
2. What is it about cherries that stops this action?
3. Cherries aren't exactly "low-carb", but it seems to be smarter to eat cherries than to take Allopurinol... but are both appropriate?
4. If the low-carb diet is to 'blame', why didn't he get gout the first year we were eating this way? We have been low-carb now for more than 2 years, but the gout has only been here for 9 months or so.
5. Are low-carbers prone to get gout even if their kidneys are working perfectly?
I've read that people with reduced kidney function should avoid a low-carb diet, but when my hubby does, he feels so much worse. I really need to know how to keep his diet low-carb friendly without bringing on gout. If cherries once a week will keep gout away, that'll be great!

Reply:

A gout attack occurs when level of uric acid is so high that it no longer can remain dissolved in the bloodstream, and solid crystals are formed. This typically occurs in joints, most commonly the big toe, and results in a very painful inflammation. It is postulated this joint is commonly affected because it is damaged gradually by the wear and tear of walking, and that cooler temperatures in this area cause uric acid to become less soluble.

High uric acid levels do not occur simply from eating purine-containing foods. Many people with gout are found to produce too much uric acid due to genetic defects. Others do not excrete uric acid sufficiently due to a presumed genetic difference in their kidney function. Your husband has an additional factor, with reduced kidney function, which would make him prone to high uric acid levels.

Alcohol consumption promotes the production of uric acid, which can lead to an attack of gout. Persons with gout are on average 15 to 30 percent overweight, and 75 percent or more have high triglycerides. High uric acid levels are present in more than 80 percent of all persons who have high triglycerides. In some persons, weight reduction and abstinence from alcohol lower triglycerides, uric acid levels, excessive excretion and overproduction of uric acid.

There is no evidence that the medications your husband takes would be related to his gout attack. As for the cherries, an article in the Journal of Nutrition in June 2003 by R.A. Jacob, et al showed that uric acid levels decreased in healthy women five hours after eating two servings (280 g) of Bing cherries. The uric acid in their urine was noted to increase three hours after eating the cherries. Markers for inflammation also decreased marginally at three hours.

There apparently are chemicals in cherries that decrease inflammation and uric acid levels by promoting uric acid excretion by the kidneys. Increased excretion of uric acid can cause stones to form in the kidneys. Persons with gout are advised to drink 2 liters of water daily to help excrete uric acid and prevent stone formation. Your husband should check with his doctor to see if he should drink less due to his reduced kidney function.

The acid pH of the urine also promotes uric acid stones, and medications are available to keep the urine alkaline.

Many persons have high uric acid levels without having any gout attacks. It is not known why some persons form crystals while others do not. Your husband may have high uric acid even without the low carb diet. It is reasonable to use low-purine proteins. You can also limit protein and use more fat for energy needs.

Purines are chemicals that are part of DNA and RNA, the genetic code components of all living cells. They are most concentrated in the diet in animal meats. Studies show that uric acid levels decrease when purines are restricted in the diet. However, it appears that a person who has no problem with uric acid excretion would not be at risk for gout despite eating large quantities of these foods.

Allopurinol is a drug that decreases the production of uric acid, so it also decreases its excretion. It is not useful for treating an acute attack but is good for preventing a recurrence. You are correct in noting that your husband's symptoms cleared too quickly for Allopurinol to be responsible. Colchicine or other anti-inflammatory drugs are most useful for treating the attack.

Allopurinol can have side effects, especially when there is reduced renal function. I see no reason why your husband could not eat a few cherries each day. This should not hurt his low carb diet if he eats them as a snack apart from his meals. He must be sure to keep well hydrated, especially for 8 hours afterward while he is excreting more uric acid. Whether this will help keep uric acid levels under control on a long-term basis must be studied further.

It would be interesting to check your husband's serum uric acid levels while using the cherries on a regular basis. If you do this, let me know the results.

http://www.theidealdiet.com/newslet...WWZ/Mar04.htm#b