View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 22:41

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 262/256/197 Male 6'4"=76 inches
BF:?
Progress: 9%

I also drink a lot of water due to an increase of thirst from this WOE. I average 128 oz (1 gallon) of water a day.

Can drinking too much water harm me?

By Elizabeth Somer, MA,RD
WebMD Medical News Archive

Oct. 23, 2000 -- No. And you are unlikely to ever meet someone who has overdosed on water.

You would need to chug down about three quarts of water or more all at once to come down with a case of true water intoxication. It does happen, but so rarely that I couldn't find statistics on the number of cases. These people become drowsy, lightheaded, and weak. They have trouble coordinating bodily movements and thinking straight, looking and feeling as if they just stumbled out of the local bar. But the water-intoxicated can't just go home and sleep it off. They must get treatment or risk going into convulsions, a coma, or even death.

What most Americans actually need to worry about is getting the eight glasses of water nutrition experts recommend (that's eight 8-ounce glasses). They suggest even more for athletes or people living in hot climates. While it may seem like a lot, it really isn't when you recognize that water accounts for up to 80% of your body weight and plays an integral role throughout in the smooth functioning of your body's vital systems.

It's no wonder, then, that falling short of the daily recommendation may make you ill. At first, you might feel thirsty and tired. Left unchecked, dehydration will progress with a loss of appetite, nausea, tingling in the arms and feet, labored breathing, dizziness, and possibly mental confusion.

You can prevent these symptoms from appearing by making sure you get your daily dose quota of water. Remember, it's a nutrient, too -- more important than any vitamin or mineral. Besides, what could be more refreshing than a cool glass of water? Include it during lunch, a mid-morning break, and even happy hour. Here's to good drinking.

Elizabeth Somer is a registered dietitian and author of several books, including Food & Mood and The Essential Guide to Vitamins and Minerals. She frequently writes for national health magazines and makes regular appearances on The Today Show and other national shows.