Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%

From the American Heart Association web-site:

Quote:
Sodium

AHA Recommendation

Healthy American adults should eat no more than 2,400 milligrams of sodium a day. This is about 1 teaspoon of sodium chloride (salt). To illustrate, the following are sources of sodium in the diet.

1/4 teaspoon salt = 600 mg sodium
1/2 teaspoon salt = 1,200 mg sodium
3/4 teaspoon salt = 1,800 mg sodium
1 teaspoon salt = 2,400 mg sodium
1 teaspoon baking soda = 1000 mg sodium

What are the common sources of sodium?

When you must reduce the amount of sodium (salt) you eat, be aware of both natural and added sodium content. Table salt is sodium chloride. It's 40 percent sodium by weight. When you buy prepared and packaged foods, read the labels. Watch for the words "soda" (referring to sodium bicarbonate, or baking soda) and "sodium" and the symbol "Na." These products contain sodium compounds.

Some drugs have high amounts of sodium. Carefully read the labels on all over-the-counter drugs. Look at the ingredient list and warning statement to see if the product has sodium. A statement of sodium content must be on labels of antacids that have 5 mg or more per dosage unit (tablet, teaspoon, etc.). Some companies are now producing low-sodium over-the-counter products. If in doubt, ask your doctor or pharmacist if the drug is OK for you.

Most spices naturally contain very small amounts of sodium.

How can I reduce the sodium in my diet?

Choose fresh, frozen or canned food items without added salts.
Select unsalted nuts or seeds, dried beans, peas and lentils.
Limit the amount of salty snacks you eat, like chips and pretzels.
Avoid adding salt and canned vegetables to homemade dishes.
Select unsalted, fat-free broths, bouillons or soups.
Select fat-free or low-fat milk, low-sodium, low-fat cheeses, as well as low-fat yogurt.
Specify what you want and how you want it prepared when dining out. Ask for your dish to be prepared without salt.
Use spices and herbs to enhance the taste of your food.
Related AHA publications:

An Eating Plan for Healthy Americans... American Heart Association Diet
Shaking Your Salt Habit... to lower blood pressure
Easy Food Tips for Heart-Healthy Eating (also in Spanish)
"How Can I Reduce High Blood Pressure?" in Answers By Heart kit (also in Spanish kit)
"How Do I Read Food Labels?", "Why Should I Limit Sodium?" and "How Can I Monitor My Weight and Blood Pressure?" in Answers By Heart kit

Now...keep in mind, this is from the AHA. They have long promoted low salt to prevent high BP. This, however, is the only place I coould find ANY guidelines!

Hope this helps.

I rarely worry about sodium. I have dependent edema and have found little relationship to my sodium intake.....unless it's REALLY high....like pigging out on ham (yum). Whe I do have ham or something highly salty, I do increase my water intake, but not by much, just a few oz/day.

How much are you drinking?