View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Sun, Mar-14-04, 08:38

Plan: South beach (modified)
Stats: 185/154/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:
Progress: 89%
Default there is no censurship on Atkins!

Quote:
But as others may have discovered, any paper that supports the Atkins diet has no abstract attached in PubMed

That is not true. There is no censurship in PUBMED. Many truly mainstream journals with abstracts are now showing similar things. I don't want to duplicate my postings - you can search for them, but I found a lot out just from the abstracts - I am a scientist, and honestly didn't dare trying Atkins until recently, precisely because "all" the evidence was against it. But that took a turn recently. If you go to
http://www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov/pubmed
which is the site where your Doctor and scientists use to find published articles, and put in key words like "atkins diet cholesterol" you find the evidence, and you just have to click the names to get the abstracts. Today, the second one is entitled: "A randomized trial of a low-carbohydrate diet for obesity.", in the New England Journal of medicine which is as respected and main stream as you can get. Of course the abstract is freely available and concludes that tentatively Atkins seems better than conventional on both how much was lost and greater improvement on some risk markers, but that more studies are needed.

I agree that the medical establishment has far too long stuck to the low fat is good and fat increases cholesterol ideas and disappointed us all. But they are learning, and PubMed is not a biased service.