View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:25
Lurking LowCarber

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 203/182/150 Female 5'3"
BF:
Progress: 40%

Why is it articles in college papers seem to be written without research? Don't people have to do research for classes any more? ~elle

Somewhat related article:

The low down on low carb dieting

By SADIAT OLATUNBOSUN
March 05, 2004

The Atkins, high-protein, and the Hollywood diets, are just a few of the increasingly popular low-carb diet plans. Low carb, high-fat and protein diets may be the "in" thing right now, but when one considers the consequences such diets have on holistic health, you may be less willing to adopt such a radical approach to weight loss.

"Even though I lost a little weight when I went on a low-carb, I gained the weight back and more once I started eating carbs again," said Dean Owida Martin, dorm parent of Washington Hall. "I don’t think it is smart to completely give up carbs, especially when you are trading healthy high fiber foods for foods high in saturated and trans fats."

These diets are so popular because there are obvious benefits from cutting out refined sugars from your diet. Called simple sugars, these carbs have no significant nutritional value. Since they are rapidly absorbed into the bloodstream, a high consumption of sweets drastically raises insulin levels. A diet low in carbohydrates will lead to a reduction in insulin production, requiring the body to rely on fat and protein storage as its primary energy source.

Chronically high insulin in the blood causes an increase in appetite, sugar cravings, hypertension, heart disease, and insulin resistance leading to diabetes; so you should eat foods high in simple carbohydrates in moderation if at all.

You might compromise your health, though, when complex carbohydrates, the "good" carbs that should be the body’s main source of energy, are eliminated. On the Atkins diet, 60% of daily calories are supposed to come from fat, and a maximum of twenty grams of carbohydrates are allowed.

According to the Weight Loss Resources website, a UK and USA database, the majority of weight loss from low carb diets come from the loss of water and muscle tissue, instead of losing fat. Not only are you likely to gain it back since you are not losing fat, but the loss of lean muscle tissue will eventually lead to a decrease in metabolism, making it more difficult for you to control your weight.

"After only one week, I found that the low-carb, high protein dieting was not effective for me," said David Casey, a senior chemistry major from Opelousas. "The high protein products disrupted my academic performance by making me tired in class, but they were also too expensive."

Americans spend more than $30 billion in the weight-loss industry; but obesity is still reaching epidemic levels nationwide. The money spent on weight loss is often spent on diet plans and gimmicks that are not valid and may even be harmful.

The American Heart Association (AHA) is concerned about the possible health threats that may possibly result after long-term adherence to these fad diets.

"They put people at risk for heart disease and we’re really concerned about that," said Dr. Robert H. Eckel, senior author of a recent paper published by the AHA. "Long-term, the saturated fat and cholesterol content of the diet will raise the bad cholesterol and increase the risk for cardiovascular disease, particularly heart attacks."