View Single Post
  #12   ^
Old Fri, Mar-12-04, 12:23

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 213/141/150 Female 5'4 1/2"
BF:
Progress: 114%

I am glad some of you are sharing your experiences rather than just answering the poll...it is encouraging. Thank you.

I have been following the carb ladder and have found that I am having trouble getting up to 20 carbs, even with the addition of dairy. And now I have discovered that I can't tolerate cottage cheese. The first time I ate it I suffered a pretty bad low blood sugar reaction - and all three times I've eaten it I have gained 1/2 to 1 lb by the next morning. Since adding dairy I have lost no weight - 9 days. Before this I was loosing a steady 1 - 1.5 per week average (I usually don't lose the week of tom either). I'm going to spend the next week cutting my salad back to 2 cups from 3 and adding in another serving of other lc veggies for a total of 2 in an attempt to up my carbs some more...and will stick with the lc milk and yogurt additions. I'm hoping is was just the cottage cheese that has stopped the loss and feel I need another week to make sure the lc milk and yogurt didn't have anything to do with it.

I've been on this woe since May...I did a very clean induction and then added things back in willy nilly, staying at right around 20 carbs. During the holidays I quit keeping track of carbs, just tried to stay away from no no foods...but still enjoyed myself...I wasn't strict. After the holidays I went back to induction then just started adding things willy nilly again until I got up to about 25 carbs. I got concerned because only about 50% of my carbs were coming from actual veggies and fruit. So I decided I ought to figure out how I'm going to do this for LIFE...so went back to induction so I could follow the carb ladder. Interestingly, the veggies do seem to be a smaller percentage of carbs than I thought would be the case so far.

So due to my experience, I firmly believe that it's important to do OWL - if not adding foods in the ORDER Dr. Atkins recommends, at least the way he recommends...adding foods slowly so you can pinpoint any problems. And there's something to be said for slowly learning how to eat properly...meaning not wasting all your carbs on frankenfoods and thinking that because your within your carb allowance you're okay. I'm not pointing any fingers here...I'm describing myself.

Anyhoo...please keep the comments coming...this is very interesting.