#13   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 10:01
Forum Moderator

Plan: Primal/P:E
Stats: 171/145/145 Female 5'7"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Interesting read. Nice post, Woo.

I think it's important to keep the learning curve in mind. Most people go through all of those stages. Most of us have issues with food that go beyond weight, so more often than not, this is a long, difficult adjustment. If a food addict needs those pork rinds and cream cheese to start making the adjustment, so be it. I have yet to see a newbie who puts down their copy of DANDR and starts low carbing by grinding their own flax seeds, cooking with organic coconut oil, etc etc.

I disagree slightly on the ketosis issue, too. I'm in maintenance, and the closer I am to ketosis, the better I feel. This doesn't mean 20 g of carbs per day - it's more like 50-60. I'm in a keto phase right now. I'm in a fantastic mood and I just finished a 45 minute marathon of cleaning my apartment. THAT doesn't happen very often!

Truthfully - and I discovered this with a breif stint on Fat Flush - I'd rather count carbs. When I count carbs and keep them fairly low, I'm invariably satisfied. When I up the carbs a bit and count calories, I'm invariably hungry. Not good. I eat nutritious food in both circumstances, but which one do you think I can live with long term?

I don't think it really matters which camp you're in, as long as you're sticking to your plan and doing it properly, which generally includes veggies and variety. You can stay at low carb levels and still get fantastic nutrition. Likewise, if you choose to go the higher carb route, the price is that you have to pay more attention to calories. This is especially true as you approach goal. Note that myself included, nine people that have posted here are 150 lbs or less.

Whichever approach you take, it all comes down to dedication to learning - about your plan, general nutrition, and your own body.