View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Thu, Mar-11-04, 08:51

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 240/205/160 Male 5'8"
BF:Scared to find out
Progress: 44%

MaryMary, I can only repeat what everyone here has already said.

1. Find out which low-carb plan is right for you
2. Buy the book (or beg, borrow or steal one) - this is very important. You SHOULD have the book to read and refer continually.
3. Eat real food, not the processed stuff like sausages or ham or jerkies or pepperoni. Eat real meat. I would say even avoid bacon, at least in the beginning, because I have found it impossible to buy bacon that has not been cured with nitrates here in the Hamilton area.
4. You have to get used to the idea that you will never again eat bread, pasta, rice, potatoes, sweets, chocolates, cakes, pastries, bagels, doughnuts, jams, most salad dressings and sauces etc.
5. Drink lots and lots of water (80 fl.oz or 3 litres per day). You may think this is easay, but trust me, it is not. You have to make a conscious effort to remember and drink a big glass of water every hour that you are awake in order to comply with this requirement. It is like remembering to take your medicines.

However, all this is not permanent, you can start adding carbs slowly once you are past the strict induction phase.

You say you find it difficult to find low carb food. Take a tip - do not go in for all this packaged low-carb crap, all those are just marketing ploys by the corporations who want their slice of the pie. Do all your shopping only in the perimeter areas of the supermarket, never go into the middle aisles at all, and cook your own food!

Cheers and welcome to the lowcarb way of life.