View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 21:47

Plan: PP
Stats: 160/149/125 Female 66 in.
BF:
Progress: 31%

So what I think you're saying is, that in our system lawsuits are an effective mechanism to induce accountability through penalties. I will agree with your examples of toxic waste and to some extent malpractice - because these entities hate to be financially penalized, and further restrictive legislation can result, so this is a good way to get compliance as a whole.

But I see the food industry as being primarily motivated by OUR pocketbooks, they may prefer to use cheap high-profit ingredients but if you don't buy it they will provide what you do want. It's not quite the same thing as those other examples, it's more in our control.

I really feel the key is education. Given the necessary knowledge, people WILL usually make wise choices for themselves - as many are indeed doing, and the market is changing. This sort of bill should not be necessary at all. But the alternative could be worse - a slew of lawsuits aimed at who? Fast food? Pepsi Co.? The Dairy Council because they promote cheese? Saturated fat? Will there someday be sin taxes on that unhealthy bacon, because it gets blamed for societal costs of heart disease - similar to what happened with Big Tobacco? (although of course the bacon is actually benign IMO).

I agree that the food industry has ruthlessly exploited our sweet-tooth with little regard to our health, but hey, that's business. We here know better and don't buy that stuff anymore. I fear that if these lawsuits begin and are taken seriously it could open a huge can of worms. We really need to get our science straight before we let the courts start pointing fingers at who sells healthy or unhealthy foods - the solution could be worse than the problem.