View Single Post
  #8   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 18:22

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I asked Anthony Colpo what he thought of this study... here's his reply:

"These patients were evidently folks with advanced CHD, and I don't have a whole lot of trouble believing that a higher dose of statins increased survival.

I do, however, think that the inference that the extra benefit was derived from greater reductions in cholesterol to be ludicrous. Via the same pathway that statins inhibit cholesterol production in the liver, they also inhibit production of an enzyme that reduces Nitric Oxide levels in arteries. NO is extermely important for arteries - it has anti-inflammatory, vasodilating, and antioxidant actions. Because statin trials have shown repeatedly that their mortality-lowering effects occur independent of the degree of cholesterol-lowering, I don't think it is a huge leap of faith to assume that is their anti-inflammatory, vasodilating, and antioxidant effects that provide the benefits.

So in high-risk patients, this may be a warranted strategy. What I am betting however, is that these findings will be used to promote higher dosages among the rest of the statin-using population for "preventive" purposes.

If so, then I think we will see a sharp rise in cancer, liver disorders, and heart failure in the not-too-distant future. In fact, a statin-induced jump in heart failure may well be underway. Statins reduce levels of coenzyme Q10 in the body, a substance required by every cell in the body for energy production - including those of the heart. Since the early nineties - when statin drugs first appeared on pharmacy shelves - there has been a marked upturn in the trajectory of deaths from congestive heart failure in the US.

There's an article by Overdose author Jay S. Cohen (a great book by the way) at www.mercola.com that discusses the pitfalls of upping statin doses:

http://www.mercola.com/2001/aug/25/baycol.htm"

Val