#2   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 15:02
Stepford Malfunction

Plan: FatFlush inspired
Stats: 143.5/132/130 Female 62.5 inches
BF:37%/25.%/19%
Progress: 85%

Hi Woo,

I'm in the 3rd group - I really find reducing calories affects my weight loss much more than reducing carbs - I've given up trying very low carb diets for a couple of reasons - a. I don't lose on them and ... b. I get very hungry on them and end up eating many more calories than I would otherwise. What I do now is watch the carbs I do eat are low GI (most of the time ) and high fibre.

Quote:
Every day on this forum I see so many people are obviously stalling because they are snacking on high calorie/low nutrient foods like cream cheese and pork rinds. They are doing this because they think it will help them lose weight: they are trying to avoid raising their carbs above the 20 gram limit. This really irks me. These people could be snaking on carrots, lowering their calories, losing weight, and getting tons of antioxidants at the same time.

Exactly, and how about the opposite sometimes I get so frustrated reading posts - where people are drinking oil or eating spoonfuls of butter - to RAISE their calories for the day. I think this idea about "starvation mode" setting in is highly exaggerated it dosen't happen unless you have very low intake for a continued period of time - and it's pretty hard to maintain a really low calorie intake when doing Atkins and other LC plans(since most of the proteins are pretty calorie dense) .

Quote:
you would be better served watching portion sizes if you are stalled.

even if you're not - even if you could eat 2lbs of steak at one meal and not gain weight, dosen't mean you should I think that diets that try to tell you, you can eat all you want of things are very bad for people who have problems like compulsive eating - it dosen't help the root of the problem.