View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Wed, Mar-10-04, 12:27

Plan: PSMF
Stats: 328/255.0/150 Female 5' 6"
BF:52%/43%/20%
Progress: 41%

Very interesting reading. I am concerned with losing weight to increase my health, but have been told repeatedly by doctors, "you are healthy, but overweight." Can this be true? I exercise 5 days a week and have reduced my weight by 10% over the last 5 months. I'm just hoping to improve the overall quality of my life and if that helps me live longer, great.

I'm not completely convinced that obesity in and of itself kills. Here's an example:

My grandmother was at least 50-75 pounds overweight most of her adult life. She lost some weight as she got older, just from losing appetite as opposed to dieting. She lived to be 84 years old. She died of an anuerisym (sp?) My grandfather however was very thin all of his life and a smoker. He died of brain cancer at 67 years old. So did being overweight limit my grandmothers life. Hard to say, but I think 84 is getting up there! I think smoking certainly contributed to my grandfathers rather early passing.

Here's a thought, if a young overweight person was to be killed in an accident, would the experts attribute their death to their obesity? Don't forget it's life and NO ONE gets out alive.