Old Tue, Mar-09-04, 22:25
Registered Member

Plan: My own
Stats: 194/000/150 Female 5'5"
BF:Not sure
Progress: 441%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
In the past month or so I have suddenly started getting digestive problems for the first time in my life, after 8 months of low carbing.
What happens is that when I eat anything, the esophogeal sensation is like there is a small lump there and afterwards a mild burning feeling...not severe, just annoying. Sometimes when this is bad, I get some stomach discomfort as well. I first noticed this happening when I was experiementing with making low carb (high gluten) bread...thought I must have celiac disease, but recent blood tests don't suggest this. Since stopping eating gluten it improved, but not altogether, and it seems to happen whenever I eat anything.

What is strange is that most people who suffer heartburn (and this is not that severe) say that lc fixes it for them...I have never had a problem with digestion in my life before. A week ago I tried to eat a bit of mildly hot curry, and also for the first time, couldn't tolerate it.

Any ideas?

Val

Hi Val:
i just spent a day in ER because of this, in my case the pain was so intense and I felt like something was chocking me, that DH thought it was a heart attack, they did a bunch of tests and consider all numbers were fine, and low cholesterol, etc, they explained that it's esophogeal spasm, which can be mistaken for heart pain. it was really scary and i couldn't figure out why I got it all of a sudden, so thank you for your post. i feel so much better now, that I'm not alone LOL. i recall that I felt this minor lump like feeling in my throat before and it felt funny when the food was going down, but this time it was just excrutiating pain, cramp like. they gave me 2 nitros and vicodin and it took care of it. the doc said that protein/fat meal requires more acid production and this excess acid irritates nerves in esophagus, and it contracts even when there is no food. i told that i don;t feel heart burn,a nd she said it's not high enough for me to feel it, but enough to irritate esophagus. i was scared to eat anything for almost 2 days after all. I've started Prevacid and it feels a bit better after a few days, but still not completely gone.
Regards,
Dina