Old Fri, Oct-12-01, 18:33
Forum Founder

Plan: LC, GF
Stats: 241/190/140 Female 165 cm
BF:
Progress: 50%

Quote:
Originally posted by numberonewendy
I wonder if your taking supplements? Potassium is what I took when so tired (Wa'il told me about them), but stopped taking them only a week ago after reading a post from Nat saying, it's not so necessary later on in this woe if your eating properly.
hi Wendy and everybody,

Just quick note ... potassium is indeed the mineral one thinks of first, when confronted with fatigue, headaches and tiredness. Wendy brings up a good point, so I did a search ... and came up with the original thread from back in March, 2001 .. where potassium was discussed at length. Please click here to read it, as there is a great deal of good information about potassium in that discussion .. .. It can really help newbies if they read it.

On the subject of stopping potassium supplements ... the Drs. Eades. of Protein Power, suggest that you should continue to take potassium supplements until you are at Maintenance, and are consuming more vegetables and fruits, which are the main dietary sources of potassium.
Quote:
When can I stop taking potassium?

When you have reached Maintenance, you can stop your daily intake; reserve extra potassium supplementation for summer months or periods of intense physical activity accompanied by sweating. During these times, you may still wish to take potassium periodically (say, two or three days a week.) If you have been off the regimen for more than a brief "vacation" and are restarting, remember that falling insulin will deplete potassium and you should replace it accordingly.

Important: If you are taking medication for blood pressure or fluid retention, be certain to check with your physician or pharmacist before supplementing with potassium.)

http://eatprotein.com/answers8.html#8c
My 23 years' experience as an Emerg. & ICU nurse has led me to believe that most people walking around out there are deficient in both potassium and magnesium. These important minerals are not stored in the body, and so they must be replenished every day. Supplements are the surest and safest way to ensure that the daily need is being met.

Doreen