View Single Post
  #5   ^
Old Mon, Mar-08-04, 06:41

Plan: Undecided atm
Stats: 162/000/115 Female 5' 4"
BF:
Progress: 345%

Read pages 275 - 284 of the updated Dr Atkins New diet revolution. The chapter title is The Psychology of Weight Loss: Behavioral Changes for a Healthier Life. Pages 283 - 285 in particular talk about "cheats" and tips on dealing with those urges. Again I wouldn't beat myself up over it... dust yourself off and pick up where you left off. Was only a small bump on the road to success. The gist of what atkins said is as follows directly quoted from the book:

Try to keep the control you have one; don't re-addict yourself.

If you do slip, be realistic- no one's perfect one hundred percent of the time. Above all, recover immediately: don't wait until tomorrow. One slice of pie mayhave limited ill effects. A late- night debauch could send you off in the wrong direction for a month.

If you've slipped up badly, don't tell yourself there is no use trying. Learn to live in the gray area when you're not being perfect! A mistake in eating doesn't mean you should stop taking nutritional supplements or exercising. Quite the contrary- everything good you can do for yourself makes it that much easier to get firmly back on the right track.

Be on your BEST behavior during Induction, the pahse in which you break your bad habits and addictions and establish healthy eating patterns.

If you're bound and determined to cheat, at least do so in the least harmful way. If a fruit will satisfy your craving for something sweet, it's better than a cookie or candy bar.

Adjust your aims to your realities. If you're going on a vacation and you know you won't be able to comply perfectly, don't make continued weight loss your goal. Instead, go on the ifetime Maintenance phase and aim to maintain your weight and stay in control of your food choices. When you return, go back to the appropriate weight loss phase.

Give yourself a cushion. If there is a special occasion on the horizon, why not drop down to an earlier phase of atkins for a few weeks before the event?

Learn from your experience. If you slip up and go off plan, ask yourself why. Did you give yourself permission? How did you THINK you would feel after? How DID you feel? How should you deal with a similar situation in the future?

Anyways he isn't exactly shaking a finger at those that fall off. I know from my own Krispy Kreme cheat *cough* I was sooooooooooo sadly dissapointed that it wasn't Duncan Doughnuts most of all and well the stomach ache and the way I felt afterwards was punishment enough to keep me from ever being a repeat offender when it comes to Krispy kreme! I hope this helps you and others who are encountering the urges to cheat or in dealing with the guilt and effects after a cheat.