Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 06:52

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%
Default Re: Definitely New and have tons of "?s"

Quote:
Originally posted by Erin4980
So I guess I really need to buy the Atkin's book tomorrow before I can ask any legitimate questions.

All questions are legitimate, Erin but yes, you should get the book, you wouldnt start driving a car w/o having had instruction would you? This is no different. If you are going to follow Atkin's then I'd suggest his book However there are many LC plans available to you. Take a look at our section of the forum called "Low Carb Comparison Plans" for a discription on some of them.

Quote:
Here's a question. Is the induction really hard to follow?

Induction is part of the Atkin's LC Plan. I follow Protein Power, and there was no induction. But to answer your question, it can be harder for some, depending on how much of a problem you have giving up carbs. Withdrawal can be tough, headaches, fatigue, dizziness; but they do lessen then disappear. It's different for everyone.

Quote:
I think I really need a book to say here are the exact things you can eat for the next two weeks...(which one do can you guys suggest?)

Each book will have its own guidelines, it's a matter of personal choice which you prefer. Atkins and Protein Power are more strict than say Suzanne Somers or Schwarzbien; as a result you lose faster with the former but can have a more varied menu with the latter.

Quote:
Also, can I eat eggs and/or bacon tomorrow morning for breakfast if I'm starting induction (that's the right word, right?) tomorrow?

You can have eggs and bacon for breakfast even if you werent starting induction Yes, they are permitted for LC plans.

Quote:
And how much water should I drink and is diet mountain dew alright to drink?

You should be drinking 64oz (8 glasses) of water a day regardless of what you eat. LC generally suggest you add an extra 8 oz (1 glass) for every 25 lbs you want to lose (thats 8 oz over and above the 64 oz). Correct me if I'm wrong, but isnt mountain dew loaded with caffiene? Atkins frown's on caffiene, PP does not. Personally I avoid all soft drinks now, they taste too sweet. And AS (Artificial Sweeteners) can be stallers for many; they also set of cravings for the real thing. Be careful with them.

I would suggest you decide which plan you want to follow, after some research and soul searching and proceed from there. For this to work it has to be more than a diet; it must become a WOL (Way of life), or you'll have learned nothing and when you return to the carb laden foods you'll gain back everything you work so hard to lose.

Best of luck to you,
Nat