#8   ^
Old Thu, Oct-11-01, 06:28

Plan: IF +LC
Stats: 287/165/165 Female 66"
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally posted by Jesper
Almost without exception, the people I work with who don't show results eat too much protein. When protein intake is decreased results increase. Three of the essential amino acids in protein can be converted to glucose, which can slow down fat loss and even prevent ketosis. This is likely to take place if the protein intake is too large.

In summary, I don't believe we should encourage over-eating on the ketogenic diet.

To clarify; neither Atkins nor the Eades (Protein Power) recommend "over eating" but rather "eating until you are no longer hungry". In PP a formula is given to figure out your minimum protein requirements. (.6g per pound of lean body mass up to .9g per pound of lean body mass. The number you use relates directly to your activity level) . The Eades maintain (Protein Power FAQ ) that when carbohydrates are restricted excess protein is not converted to glucose, the Amer. Journal of Physiology (Endocrinology and Metabolism) seems to agree with them:

Quote:
In carb-restriction, and lowered levels of insulin (the fat-storage hormone) .. the liver is most likely to convert excess protein into free fatty acids, which will either be used as fuel or further processed by the liver into ketones. Conversely, when insulin and sugar levels are elevated, then the carbon-portion of the unused amino acids will be converted to triglyceride, and stored. The amine (nitrogen-based) part of the excess protein molecules are converted to urea and excreted in the urine in either case.

I appreciate your possition, however most people looking for help and information on this board are trying to overcome the idea that eating fat, protein and more than 1200 calories is bad for them; the fine tweaking of the percentages and ratios is something that should happen further down the line. But I am repeating myself here

Nat