View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 19:08

Plan: OWL - Induction Carbs
Stats: 385/321/225 Male 75 inches
BF:BMI 48.1/40.1/28.1
Progress: 40%
Default Some BP meds CAN hinder weightloss

It is very important that you and your friend determine "which" type of blood pressure medication she is on. There is not simply one type for all cases of hypertensive patients. Several possible medications exist which treat hypertension and they all affect the body in different ways. Doctors can prescribe calcium-channel blockers, beta blockers, diuretics, angiotensin converting enzyme(ACE) inhibitors, or the newest type; angiotensin II receptor antagonists. These different approaches, can be prescribed separately, in combination, or even in medications which combine multiple agents in one pill. Needless to say, it can be confusing.

The reason I tell you all this is because I, too, have hypertension and was recently switched from an ACE inhibitor (Accupril) to an angiotensin II receptor antagonist combined with a diuretic (Hydrochlorothiazide) in a newer medication called Avalide. I also took a calcium-channel blocker(Norvasc) the entire time with both medications. As soon as I started the Avalide - my weight loss stalled.

After researching the new medication I was taking, Avalide, I discovered that the diuretic component of the medication may have been the culprit. See, I am also insulin resistant which in and of itself makes weightloss difficult. A diuretic can make insulin resistance worse. What a diuretic does while depleting the body's water reserves and esential nutrients potassium and magnesium - is that it also increases serum glucose levels, thus prompting the body to make more insulin to deal with it. Extra insulin promotes fat storage and increases weight gain. Not a good thing when trying to lose weight.

I discussed this with my doctor, and once again, switched the medication to Avapro which is the same as Avalide, BUT without the diuretic component. After about 3 days, my weightloss started up again. Of course, my stall and the resumption of weightloss can easily be attributed to other factors and I will never know what the exact mechanisms were that caused the event. That being said, the effects of diuretics and beta-blockers on weightloss have been well documented.

You can easily research the effect of diuretic's effects on weightloss and insulin levels on the web by doing a search. One such report which mentions this is located HERE. As you will see, it also suggests that beta-blockers can inhibit weightloss as well.

Also, Dr. Atkins himself has something to say about this HERE.

Hope this helps.

JFF