Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 15:56

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by FromVA

That is one heck of a lot of water!

Good point. But, let me put it this way...IF I REALLY WAS retaining 120 pounds of excess water, and this diet helped me get rid of it, then it still helped me. But, as we all know, it was mostly fat. In the beginning, everyone loses several pounds of water. Partly because Glycogen is stored with a massive amount of water. Also, at least for me...going on Atkins meant cutting my Sodium Intake by 59% (from 5,800mg to 2,400mg,) because I could no longer eat as many foods obscenely high in sodium...such as Bread, Potatoes, and Subway (12" Subway Club on Bread WITHOUT Olives = 3,648mg)*.

So, a good percentage of Induction Weight Loss IS water. The rest is usually Starch (Liver Glycogen) and Fat. After induction, most weight lost is Fat, unless you're eating very few Calories [Inadaquete Protein.] Unfortunately, there's a tendency among these folks to extrapolate Induction out to the rest of the diet. So, they test for let's say ONE week and find 50% of weight lost during that first week is water. Then, they announce that 50% of weight loss on Atkins is water. They don't bother to wait several weeks or months to find out what the weight loss is composed of AFTER the first week or two.

*I still eat Subway on occassion now that they have their new LC Wraps, but I never eat more than ONE wrap in a given day, and only the Roast Beef Wraps because of the Sodium Content (729mg WITHOUT Pickles, Olives, or Parmesan Cheese. A Club Wrap has 1,577mg WITHOUT Olives.) Plus, they don't list Nitrites on their ingredients list for Roast Beef, while they do for Ham and Turkey. I notice alot of Deli Roast Beefs don't have Nitrites, though a few do.