View Single Post
  #7   ^
Old Sat, Mar-06-04, 01:12

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 378/295/159 Female 67 inches
BF:
Progress: 38%

I have had trouble with TOM all of my life. Sometimes twice a month, sometimes every 3 months, sometimes for 5 days, most of the time for 12-15 days! I have never had a normal cycle and I only ovulate once or twice a year. I went to the Dr. for a fertility workup and was told I have PCOS (Polycystic Ovarian Syndrome.) The Dr. told me it has to do with my insulin resistance and that the best treatment for PCOS is a low-carb diet. I have been on Atkin's for 3 months now and for the first time in my life, all my cycles have been 28 days exactly and only lasted 4 days each. I also ovulated last month for the first time in over a year.

Appearantly, for people with my condition, low-carb lifestyle works to correct hormone imbalances (which I have always had) for others, it may affect the hormones in a different way. It is statistically proven that during rapid weight loss the body's cycles change. Once your body gets used to it, it should go back to normal. From what my doctor told me, any ketogenic diet will normally cause changes in the menstrual cycle but this is just your body adjusting to the new insulin levels.