#11   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 20:34

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by VALEWIS
Well, I hope they can figure the GI out, because if you look at the U Sydney database on GI values, which I believe is the principal source, it is almost impossible to arrive at a figure. For example, there are all sorts of brands and types of white rice listed there, and they all have hugely varying GI values. So its one thing to understand the theory, and its another to figure out what the GI actually is. Check it out:http://diabetes.about.com/library/m...gi/ngilists.htm

Val

I've skimmed through the Databases before...The wide variation is one reason I believe GI should be prominently listed on the label. And, it should be a range such as "19 ± 7" or "12 - 26," not "Low," "High" like alot of manufacturers seem to like. Different variants of the same product can have widely different GI values. For example, rice grown in Asia tend to have a significantly lower GI than rice grown in America. Rice grown in Africa and the Middle East have the highest GI. But, food products are rarely marked with enough information to know which variant it is or where it may have been grown. If they listed the GI on the label, we'd be able to chose the variants and brands which have the lowest GI.

Let's start with the example of White Rice. White Rice grown in Bangladesh has a low glycemic index of 39, while White Rice grown in Turkey has an off the charts glycemic index of 139. The difference is the ratio of the starches. Bangladeshi Rice is higher in Amylose (27%,) while Turkish Rice is low in Amylose. Low-Amylose Rices range from 83 - 139, while High-Amylose Rices range from 39-61.

Potatoes are another perfect example. For example:

Code:
Baked Potatoes -- Canada: 56-60 USA (Idaho): 78-111 Boiled Potatoes -- Canada: 54 New Zealand: 70 India: 23-76 Australia: 56-78

The method of peraparation also makes a very big difference:

Code:
Chips: 51-57 Boiled: 23-78 Mashed: 67-83 Instant: 74-97 Baked: 56-111