View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 17:02

Plan: low cal, low carb
Stats: 196/145/140 Female 5'6.5
BF:23%
Progress: 91%

I think low fat does not make people fatter, as low fat does in fact lower the calories that would have been in the fat....but what has happened is that people have felt free to eat as many sugary processed carbs a they want if it is low fat. People who stick to say the Pritikin diet certainly don't gain weight. The problem with low fat for me is that it is unhealthy to eliminate fat from the diet leading to an increase in LDL to HDL. So people who pigged out on huge plates of pasta or low fat muffins by the dozen got overweight, but people who ate lots of raw veggies and very lean meats would not have. I just think that Atkins and other low carb diets are in general more natural, and more satisfying so that overall we eat less and get all the nutrients needed. I also think that it is one thing to look at results of highly controlled research in which subjects eat a very specified and controlled diet, and those of us who are eating naturally and on the run while trying to follow a basic plan....this is part of the advantage of low carbing...it is easier to follow on a rule of thumb basis than low calorie, low fat diets.

Val