#6   ^
Old Fri, Mar-05-04, 11:43
There and Back Again

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 200/194.4/140 Female 5'3"
BF:42%/42%/20%
Progress: 9%
Default Troubling, indeed.

I definitely agree that there is a lot of science and government pandering in the pockets of big business, especially the pharmaceutical companies (which were very pleased when GWB was elected--stock prices soared on pharmaceuticals post election, case in point).

Quote:
Originally Posted by TBoneMitch
quote: «Curiously, the ban on ephedra will not affect the sale of over-the-counter and prescription drugs containing the herb's synthetically derived active compound ephedrine, which is used in decongestants and other bronchial remedies such as Sudafed. »

That sums it all up quite well I think...

However, one of the questions that occurred to me when I read this is that ephedra and ephedrine have different effects on the human body (probably different chemical structures?). Ephedrine (which of course is also the ingredient that is popular with folks who illegally manufacture meth-amphetamines, hence the restriction on the amount of cold remedies that can be purchased at least in some states) appears to have milder side-effects than ephedra does.

As a personal anecdote, when I took supplements with ephedra (the original Metabolife), I noticed an increased heart rate with pounding, and my blood pressure went up. I discontinued taking them because those symptoms troubled me. I've never had that problem taking Sudafed, for example.

I HAVE been leery of ephedra and concerned that it might be more dangerous than the companies like Metabolife, would let on. The supplement industry is also out to make money, too, particularly large companies like Metabolife who have been accused of hiding health reports from people who have complained of side-effects. There's sort of a mirror between prescription drug companies and non-prescription drug companies, and any sort of self-regulation should be highly suspect on both sides.