#29   ^
Old Thu, Mar-04-04, 07:36
Butter Tastes Better

Plan: Atkins OWL / IF-23/1 /BFL
Stats: 100/100/100 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 34%

Quote:
"But I learned in my nutrition class that we need whole grains." And I said, "Uhhhh...well, now that I'm in maintenace I am eating whole grains in my low-carb bread and tortillas, but otherwise, I don't really think I need them."

Do I need them? What gives? lol. She just kind of threw me for a loop. I mean, I don't feel as though I would become deficient if I cut out my low-carb bread...

This happened with my doctor... I asked her why I needed the whole grains. She couldnt answer.

Try checking this out. http://www.drirene.net/qa3/qa150033.htm

Quote:
... However I find your question of whether you can remove all grains and replace them with fruits and vegetables an interesting one. First, folate is not your main concern, since folate is primarily obtained from fruits and vegetables. The major nutrients we normally receive from grains are complex carbohydrates, fiber, thiamin, riboflavin, niacin and iron. Thus, the question is, can you receive these nutrients from other food groups.
The complex carbohydrate and fiber can be obtained from fruits and vegetables. However it is interesting that you appear to tolerate these, as many individuals with Chrohn’s disease cannot tolerate a high fiber diet. Iron is usually not a major concern in an individual who includes red meat. The iron in red meat is very well absorbed because it is in the form of “heme-iron”. A small amount of iron is found in dried fruits and some of the green leafy vegetables. Although this iron is not well absorbed, neither is the iron from grain products. Thus, as long as red meat is consumed, iron is probably not a concern.
So we are left with replacing the thiamin, riboflavin and niacin. While these vitamins are not found in many fruits and vegetables, they are found in other food groups. Thus, I have included some examples of other food sources of these nutrients. Thiamin is probably the largest challenge if you don’t eat pork products. For individuals with complex medical problems (and it sounds like you are in this category), I suggest sitting down with a Registered Dietitian. This individual is trained to do an in depth evaluation of your nutritional intake and determine if supplementation is necessary to meet your nutritional needs within your food tolerances. They would also evaluate the adequacy of the calcium in your diet, as it appears quite low from the limited information you have provided.

Alternatives to Grains as sources of Thiamin: Pork and ham. Examples of moderate sources include soy milk, sunflower seeds and some select vegetables such as green peas, acorn squash, and watermelon.
Alternative to Grains as sources of Riboflavin: Dairy products, eggs. Green leafy vegetables and nuts have a small amount.
Alternatives to Grains as a source of Niacin: Selections from the meat group such as chicken, tuna, liver, lean ham and fish can provide a significant source of niacin.

quoting Dodger from this thread http://forum.lowcarber.org/showthread.php?t=165637 in the research forum

Quote:
Here is what I found about those vitamins.

From the "Nutrients in Food" by Elizabeth Hands.

"Thiamin is not heat-stable and, therefore, is one of the vitamins most easily destroyed by cooking or by the milling of grains. Thiamin is a water-soluble vitamin and will dissolve into the cooking liquid. ... The Enrichment Act of 1942 required thiamin (and several other nutrients ) to be added to flour and cereals to compensate for the loss of nutrients during the milling and processing of grain." "Excellent sources include pork, bacon, and ham, most nuts, fish, enriched grain products, soy and soy products ... "

"Riboflavin is processed out of whole grain when it is milled into flour and out of rice when it is polished. It is restored to white wheat flour and cornmeal through 'enrichment' ..." "The best riboflavin sources are organ meats (liver, kidney, heart), almonds, brewer's yeast, soynuts, shellfish (oysters, clams), yogurt and cheeses, milk, meats, poultry (especialy the dark meat), eggs, enriched breads, ..."

"When cereal grains are milled into flour, large amounts of nicin are lost. Because of enrichment, however, enriched grain products are a goood source of niacin. Niacin in meats is in a different form and apperas to be more available." "The best niacin sources are organ meats such as liver, fish, poultry, peanuts, nutritional yeast, lamb, veal, pork and ham, polish sausage, peanut butter, beef, enriched bread ..."

Doesn't seem that cutting out grains would result in any deficiencies of these vitamins as they are readily available in more natural "unenriched" foods than the processed grains.

I would totally rather eat natural unenriched whole foods to get these vitamins instead of highly processed grains.