Old Mon, Oct-08-01, 20:59
Registered Member

Plan: Atkins,PP - wgt in %
Stats: 100/96.8/69 Female 5'6.5"
BF:DWTK/DDare/JEnuf
Progress: 10%
Cool heya, me again....

Greetings again, AJ...

Live and learn, don't we and it all seems so complicated, but really really really it gets to be pretty straight forward after a while.

I've been converting recipes and playing with my food for a few years now and here's the deal... first thing to look at is "what's the flour for?"... Is it absolutely needed for the texture or flavour (usually not the flavour, flour hasn't got any by itself)?? I always try the recipe first (at least in my mind's eye) without the "filler" or the flour. If I can't even conceive of such a notion, then I look for substitutes... Sooooooo:

1) try the fishlets fried and marinated (there's where the flavour comes in) without the flour, and only if that doesn't work for you, look for a sub, such as:
2) commonly used flour substitutes in lowcarb:
soya flour, soya or whey protein isolate powder, a mix of the above, Atkins' Bake Mix, pseudo-Atkins Bake Mix (see recipe section), finely crushed pork rinds (plain), finely ground nuts (almonds work well with lots of things), OR maybe
3) marinate 'em first and THEN fry them in one of the above.

Hope this gives you some ideas. I've never coated and fried anything that needed to hold up through a marinating, but I have used just about every one of the above coatings... liked the pork rind crumbs and the ground almonds the best

Good luck!