Old Wed, Mar-03-04, 23:01
I'll get there yet!

Plan: Atkins/nutritionist blend
Stats: 319/284.4/150 Female 66.5 inches
BF:way/too/much
Progress: 20%

Quote:
Originally Posted by deneen
"But I learned in my nutrition class that we need whole grains." And I said, "Uhhhh...well, now that I'm in maintenace I am eating whole grains in my low-carb bread and tortillas, but otherwise, I don't really think I need them."

Do I need them? What gives? lol. She just kind of threw me for a loop. I mean, I don't feel as though I would become deficient if I cut out my low-carb bread...

Any thoughts or suggestions on this one?

~Kelly Deneen

Kelly, Had a similar experience walking to the teacher's lounge from the lunch line at school one day--a brilliant PE teacher (well, he thinks he's brilliant--and an expert on everything) was commenting about our VP, who has lost 60 pounds and looks great. Then brilliant PE teacher spoiled it by saying "Oh, but he's on that terrible Atkins diet, and it's really not good for you." Well, that's an opening I refuse to resist! So, I asked, "Why?" "You don't eat vegetables." "Excuse me? I eat more vegetables and more variety of vegetables now than I ever have before in my life! Could you tell me what's wrong with the lunch I have right now?" (it happened to be 2 small chicken breast shaker salads and a liter of water) (he had the shaker salad, too--and a giant chocolate chip cookie. Nothing to drink--he was going to get a soda in the teacher's room... ) "Uh, nothing--but you NEED grains." "Oh? Why?" (they hate that, those people who think they know everything and pontificate about anything) "For fiber!" I just laughed and said "I get plenty of fiber, thank you!" He hasn't said anything since. By the way--on a staff of 65 teachers, 10 of us are low carbers.

Jude