View Single Post
  #4   ^
Old Tue, Mar-02-04, 04:02

Plan: Muscle Centric
Stats: 238/152/160 Female 5'10"
BF:
Progress: 110%

This is not as ridiculous or as paranoid as it sounds!

Recently, someone here on the forum suggested a very good exercise book called 'Escape Your Shape' (there is also another one called Hold It! You're Exercising Wrong).

Quote:
Book Description

The Individualized Fitness Prescription for Your Body Type

Do you wonder why the latest fitness fad doesn't work for you? Have you lifted weights for months, dreaming of toned, defined muscles, with no results? Have you exercised regularly for months -- or even years -- without seeing any changes in your body? If you answered yes to any of these questions, chances are your exercise routine is incomplete and wrong for your body type.

Everyone -- men and women alike -- has a natural shape:
Hourglass® Spoon® Ruler® Cone®

And there's a right and a wrong way to exercise for each. By exercising right for your body type you'll finally see stubborn problem areas start to change in a matter of weeks -- the kind of change that will motivate you to continue until you meet your goals and beyond.

I am currently reading the book and it's a total revelation - if you do the wrong exercise then you can end up 'bulking' up the wrong body parts.

For example, I am a Spoon, and therefore would also be susceptible to bulking my calves. Among the exercise forms the book suggests for my shape are fast walking or slow jogging, but no inclines or hills, stationary biking with light resistance only, jumping jacks, jumping rope etc - among the exercises to avoid are long distance running, all ellipitical machines, stair climbers, step classes, squats and lunges.

I have a very good friend who is also a spoon, and took step classes. She ended up with huge calves; she's now trying to reverse this disaster.

And with what you've said, you sound as though you are also a typical spoon.

If you think about it, we are all different, so why shouldn't we exercise differently too.