View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Mon, Mar-01-04, 10:05

Plan: LC Lifestyles Plan
Stats: 333/240/190 Male 6'0"
BF:31.5%/26.95%/8%
Progress: 65%

Good Morning All!!

This is a very interesting conversation - and here is my take on the question.

One of the things we have to remember is that it takes a lot of muscle and energy to move around (in my case when I started) 333 pounds of body. It takes a lot more muscle to make a 333 pound person walk than it does to make a 130 pound person walk.

So - as we lose weight, we create a situation in the body where there is excess muscle to move around the new weight. If you now weigh 260 pounds - you don't need the same amount of muscle as when you weighed 333 pounds. That is just the facts.

The body is very complex and adaptable. When it realizes that you don't need as much muscle anymore, it starts to trim back your LBM to match what you need. I don't see this as a negative. Here is why:

Last time I did the diet and lost 125lbs I was doing very intense aerobic exercise in the form of Mountain Biking. When I was at my goal I was in the top 5% of cardiovascular health for men my age. Did I lose LBM - absolutely. But - my riding was getting stronger and stronger because of the weight loss. I still had enough LBM to do all the activity and everything I was doing, but I didn't need as much as I did when I was 325.

So - my point is - your body will adapt to the weight loss combined with your activity level and set your LBM to the right level for you. I personally don't worry about any LBM that I lose - my body is simply adjusting to what I need right now.

I hope this makes sense