Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 14:35
Registered Member

Plan: My Own
Stats: 280/118/117.5 Female 5ft 5.25 in
BF:
Progress: 100%

Quote:
Originally Posted by mb99
OK, I have an intrest in this and here is my 2 cents!

Hi, I just wanted to say I loved your post, and agree with just about everything said.

The only thing I would consider you rethink is the assumption that 1200 calories is very low for all people. I stay around the 1200-1300 calorie range, and this is a very satisfying place for me.

I don't think the number of calories you are eating is as important as the number of calories you are burning. People see the number 1200 and they think "ack, thats almost starvation! I can't do that!". Well, I can. My job involves sitting in front of a computer with very little movement, 5 days a week. I try to get in some physical activity, but I am usually too tired.
Plus I only weigh like 150 pounds now, my BMR is only 1400-1500.

Seeing as my lifestyle burns almost no calories and my BMR is only 1400-1500, 1200-1300 calories puts me at about a 500 calorie per day deficit, which is right on target for a 1 pound a week fat loss.

You are only 120ish pounds, true, however I would bet you live a very active lifestyle or exercise intensely and regularly if you find 1200-1300 calories to be "a complete joke".

So, I am saying that for those of us who can't have the time, or won't make time to live an active lifestyle, the lower calorie ranges aren't necessarily debilitating to metabolism. However, I do agree that it is harder for us sedentary, lower weight people to lose weight while maintaining nutrition (it is VERY important for me to take a multivitamin, as I am usually deficient by 30% in some nutrients). There really is no other alternative for us, though. It is either a) get a job that is more physical or exercise all the time to compensate (not likely ), b) cut back food to create a modest deficit, and live with temporary low nutrition, or c) stay fat.