View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 11:10

Plan: SB (formerly Atkins)
Stats: 196.5/167/140 Female 5' 4
BF:
Progress: 52%
Default HELP! Target heart rate? Also, do I have to sweat?

I just started working out last weekend. Since I previously led a sedentary lifestyle, I started out slow, only doing the warmup and stretch portion of the workout every morning. Today I did the full workload for the first time. I plan to work out 5-6 days a week, with three times a week being my standard workout (it has a weight-bearing component), and the other days being an off-day workout (all aerobic, no weights). I have a few questions that I hope you more experienced exercisers can help me out with.

1. How the heck do I figure my target heart rate? There are tons of calculators out there. Some take your resting heart rate into account; some don't. Some take your gender into account; some don't. I used a few and got wildly different numbers. I am female, 32, sedentary (up till now) lifestyle, RHR of 60 to 65. Today I don't think I got over 130, but I was definitely huffing and puffing, though not so much that I couldn't have talked to someone a bit.

2. Do I have to sweat to get a good workout? It's not that I mind sweating; I don't. I just can't seem to "work up a good sweat." I never have been able to, unless I'm outside when it's very hot. (And my armpits sweat when I'm nervous.) When I was taking gym in school, lo these many years ago, and I had to work practically to the end of my endurance (getting lightheaded, etc.), I would get really, REALLY red in the face and stay that way for quite some time, but I just didn't sweat much. I don't know why I don't sweat. Can I still have an effective workout without perspiring?
Sponsored Links