View Single Post
  #15   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 10:54

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 188/156.5/150 Female 5 foot 3 inches
BF:
Progress: 83%

<<It is very difficult to get all the vitamins and minerals you NEED at 1200 calories (less then 1800-2000 I would say) at low carb OWL/pre-maintence. Sure, you can rely on your "insurance" of multivitamin just as those who stay on induction for long periods must do -- but I wouldn't want to be stuck at a low level of calories for ever having ****ed up my metabolism.>>

Believe me, I would rather not have to eat between 1,000 and 1,400 calories to loose weight. I went 5 solid months without loosing a pound. During that time I exercise (calories out) a MINIMUM of 1 1/2 hours of circuit training 4 days a week and a MINIMUM of 1 1/2 hours of weight training 3 days a week. I steadily increased this exercise over the 5 month period. I only deviated from the Atkins plan 2 days and then it was a piece of pie one day and some chips another day.

<<What am I doing when i go over set number? Extra calories from some macadamias or lower carb yogurt (for those that are in OWL) may be less hurtful then from low carb junk food.>>

I am not talking about nuts being harmful and I eat no low carb junk food. I am simply saying that I believe the high caloric content of nuts prevents me from loosing weight. I will reincorporate nuts when I get to maintenance.

<<ANd my final 2 cents. I think that 10-12X figure doesn't work as well the further down the scale. During induction, I found 1700-2000 calories a useful guide. Now, I consider 1200-1300 calories a complete joke, and completely unneccessary and unhealthy.>>

Since my return to induction I am still eating whenever I feel hungry. I am eating as much as I want until satisfied. I am not "controlling" my calories...it just so happens that true induction for me EQUALS less calories.

In the end, after working within the guidelines of Atkins which I truly believe in and will stick with for the rest of my life, the evidence points to a reduction in calories is the only thing that will enable me to loose weight. Now, it may be that there is something about 1/2 and 1/2, nuts, and peanut butter that chemically causes me to stall. I am still working on finding that balance that will work for me.