View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 08:57

Plan: Organic Dukan Attack
Stats: 132/129.4/116 Female 4' 11"
BF:
Progress: 16%

I believe that the "eat less/move more" maxim for weight loss is just like the "buy low/sell high" advice for making money in the stock market. They're both absolutely true and both absolutely inadequate at the same time! How low is low enough and how high is high enough? I agree with mb99 that the ratio of macronutrients is as important as the number of cals.

The 10x body weight rule for me puts me at 1200 calories a day, and if I get down to my goal, it would set me lower still. But I am 50 years old, in menopause, and I have a desk job. I don't think 1000-1200 is ever going to equal starvation for me. Lots of studies show, as well, that lower calories levels slow much of the aging process. But exercising and controlling the ratio of fat/protein/carbs keeps me out of starvation mode and comfortable, although I lose very, very slowly. I have essentially eliminated ALL refined carbs except those found in salad dressing.

By the way, 2muchpizza, I haven't read The Diet Cure (I may, it sounds interesting), but I have been on the Insulin Resistance Diet which doesn't go low enough in carbs to put me into ketosis at all, and I NEVER have hunger pangs or cravings, even at 1200-1500 cals per day. IR recommends that you always have at least 1 gram of protein for every 2 grams of carbs you eat and never eat more than 30 grams of carbs in any two-hour window. This keeps the blood sugar on a low, even keel and prevents the insulin spikes that lead to hunger pangs. That may not be the exact solution for you, but I bet you'll find a strategy that is. You don't have to stay in ketosis in order to avoid hunger.