View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sun, Feb-29-04, 07:58

Plan: Carnivore
Stats: 212/179/160 Female 5'6"
BF:
Progress: 63%

Hi, everyone! We had a very busy day yesterday and I didn't get a chance to post again.

DH and I drove down to the big city (Portland) on some errands. We wanted to buy a floor lamp and pick up a few needed items at Home Depot. I also wanted to drag him along to look at a couple cars. This is the year. My Explorer, which I love dearly, has 147,500 miles on it and the gas mileage is pretty atrocious. I filled the tank (ok, so the attendant filled the tank) last Sunday and it cost $25. Tuesday evening I filled it again for another $25, and yesterday before we left we had to fill it yet again for yet another $25. I'm probably going through an entire tank of gas 5 to 6 times in two weeks. That comes to about $300 a month in gas!

I originally wanted a new SUV, but the gas mileage was no better. Then I was looking at cars, but my heart was still with SUVs. So I wanted to look at the Toyota Highlander and the Honda Pilot. We were planning on buying a new car closer to June. We looked at the Toyotas, and I didn't like them. I even got in the RAV4 because of the great mileage it gets, but we both hated it and thought it looked and felt cheap.

So we went over to the Honda dealership (the next building over). Well, somewhere between the Toyota dealership and the Honda dealership it finally sunk in to DH's head how much I've been spending on gas. The Honda sales guy immediately starting talking about incentives, etc. if we bought today. I said no way are we buying today.

We got in the Pilot, and fell in love. Then the sales guy mentioned I wouldn't be doing much better on gas, and maybe I should try the CR-V (27+ mpg). I said I wouldn't like it, but we got in, looked at each other, and smiled. I got out and said this was the car for me. So, what does DH say when he gets out of the car? "Wrap it up. We'll take it." AND WE DID! They gave us $1500 off the sticker, and had 2.9 financing for 5 years! Our payment will be $284. THAT'S LESS THAN WHAT I'M PAYING FOR GAS EACH MONTH!

Bawdy loves her CR-V!