View Single Post
  #1   ^
Old Fri, Feb-27-04, 23:09

Plan: Atkins/Protein Power
Stats: 256/179/160 Female 68 inches
BF:38.9/27.2/24.3
Progress: 80%
Default Doreen....thanks for the link to Dr Enig's article on cholesterol!

Doreen! Thanks so much for adding that link to the article by Dr Enig!!!! I came to this board for information, but didn't think I'd find it that fast!

My doc wants me on statins again and I'm refusing.....but not really sure I'm right in refusing. After reading the article I've decided to get a LOT more info before I go back on meds!

I have several issues with taking this kind of medication....in addition to just the idea of throwing a pill down your throat to cure all ills, the side effects and possible complications:
1. There is NO family history as far as we can go back of any kind of coronary artery disease on either parent's side. Both parents died of cancer. My dad's family DOES have a fairly strong history of stroke, with mose surviving well, but always related to high BP. Mine is low. Most of his family either died young due to infection, injury, war, etc....or lived to be quite old in fairly good health..there was a fairly high number with liver diseases, some alcohol related, others not. My moms' family mostly died of complications of diabetes (but NOT coronary artery disease, only 1 aunt had cardiomyopathy and diabetes)....mainly blood clots.
2. When I went on Lipitor for just 3 months my total cholesterol dropped to below 150, from a high of 265. At that time, for the FIRST time in my life I was also diagnosed with depression. I'd cry at anything! Since I stopped the Lipitor the depression is gone.
3. I've always had a problem believeing this crap. How can an egg or a nut be harmful? Those little packages are designed to create life! How can they possibly be bad for you? The saturated fat line has never made sense to me, but became impossible to believe when they started promoting VEGETABLE saturated fat as ok, but ANIMAL saturated fat as bad????

I just went to Amazon to check out Dr Rovnskov's book and I'm going to get it and read it and do a lot more research on this!

Thanks for being one of many who supply such important information!!!!!
Sponsored Links