View Single Post
  #9   ^
Old Wed, Feb-25-04, 21:27

Plan: Atkins, Newcastle
Stats: 260/221.8/165 Female 5'3"
BF:Highest weight 260
Progress: 40%

I knew it. I knew it. I knew it.

As I was reading this I was not impressed with the study at all, but I was intrigued about how they could come to the conclusion that vegetable fiber was not as good for your heart as fiber from fruit and cereal - sounded kind of strange. Then I started to wonder just how these people defined 'vegetable'. At the end of the article came confirmation of my suspicions.

Although fiber from vegetables overall exerted no protective effect on the heart, fiber from certain "high quality" vegetables may still reduce the risk of disease, Pereira noted. Specifically, people who opt not for starchy vegetables like corn or potatoes but choose green, leafy vegetables that are fresh or frozen, rather than overly processed, may see some heart-healthy benefits, he said.

There you go folks. If you eat 'high quality' veggies you're all right. As if we didn't know that. These turkeys included shoveling corn and potatoes into your mouth as 'eating vegetables'. Omigosh, they think that stopping by McDonald's for an order of fries constitutes eating veggies.

It's getting easier and easier to spot the garbage in these 'scientific' studies.