View Single Post
  #10   ^
Old Tue, Feb-24-04, 10:58
Bouncy!

Plan: Atkins Maintenance
Stats: 297/173.3/150 Female 5'7" (top weight 340)
BF:41%/31%/??%
Progress: 84%

If I had the answer to that, I'd be a zillionaire! Or at least a more self aware person.

I think the first ingredient of success is figuring out the physical limitations you are dealing with. For me, that was discovering low-carb. I think I could have all the determination in the world, but with my body fighting against me, I don't think I'd ever succeed in the long run. As evidenced by the fact that so far I hadn't ever succeeded in the long run.

Then, if that part is taken care of, you have found the physiological solution to the problem, then it's the whole determination, motivation arguement. How to flip that switch, turn on the light, whatever so that you are a person who is committed versus being a person who knows the answer but can't act on it.

I wish I knew how I flipped the switch this time. I worry about not knowing the answer because if I lose it, I don't know what to do to turn it back on. But for me, all the psychological manipulations don't work. I can't get there with affirmations. I can't get there with reframing my thoughts or beliefs. I can't get there by forcing it in any way. I just hasn't worked for me. It's like it is magic that I can't control. I know this is a very negative way of viewing it, not very self-empowering and maybe sets myself up for failure if I do lose "it", but at 39 years old, with 29 of those years focused on trying to get to a normal weight, that is my experience.

The only thing I can do when I not there, not able to stick with it for whatever reason, is to try to stay close. To keep trying. If it's not the right time, at least I'm in the right place so that when the time comes, I'm there.

I don't mean to be negative, I don't get it either, it really scares me sometimes.

Valerie