View Single Post
  #36   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 11:19
Registered Member

Plan: Dr. Adkin's
Stats: 252/236/160 Female 66 inches
BF:
Progress: 17%

This is one of the most interesting threads I've read lately.

I believe that my being overweight is about 98% my fault. Yes, I have the choice about what I put in my mouth. But a big part of how I have made my decisions, in the past, about what I put in my mouth, had to do with how I was educated.

Most people (not all), try to make informed decisions. They talk to their doctors, dieticians, read articles, etc., etc. The problem is, many times in life, those people that we are brought up to believe are experts, don't give us the right information.

First we're told to count calories to control our diet, then we're told to go on a low fat diet. We're told to drink plenty of milk, then we're told not to, it may have some stuff in it that's bad for us. We're told eggs are fine, we're told eggs are deadly, then we're told eggs are fine. We're told sunshine is healthy for us, we're told the sun's rays are deadly to us. Sometimes, you just don't know who to believe.

There are still doctors that tell their patients that the Adkins diet is bad. Some people will only believe what their doctors tell them.

Then again, like my in-laws like to bring up. Maybe the Adkins diet is not so good for you. Not because of the choices of foods, but because of where we get the food. Everyone knows that fresh veggies are the best, but, where I live anyway, I have no options of where to buy those vegies. Many that I buy are raised with chemicals. In the summer, I can buy from farmers, but not in the winter. I would have to travel four hours total to be able to buy organic produce. Between the cost of that produce, and the gas, I'm just not that rich. So I might lose weight, I might not get diabetes, but if chemicals are among the leading reason for many cancers, I may end up with cancer because of this diet. Sometimes you just can't win. LOL

So, we may be trying to do what's right, but our choices, are sometimes not our choice. If that makes sense.....