#7   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 09:18

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 320/220/195 Male 6'0"
BF:
Progress: 80%

Quote:
Originally Posted by adkpam
It amazes me that pasta got such a good reputation. Like many others, this superstar is revealed as bloated hype instead of substance.
Have any of these people LOOKED at the back of their pasta boxes?
You get some B's, because it's enriched, and that's about it. Not nearly enough nutrients to offset the havoc it wreaks.

I bet most folks are unaware that a plate of unadorned pasta [395 kcal] has as many calories as an 8 Ounce Sirloin Steak [393 kcal.] Now, unlike the Steak which is edible by itself and can be improved with a little bit of Pepper [which is virtually 0 Calories,] Pasta requires either copious amounts of Parmesan Cheese or Tomato Sauce, or a mix of the two to actually taste good. Add 1/2 cup of Pasta Sauce and 2 Tbsp of Fat-Free Parmesan, and that plate of Pasta now has 512 kcal...or just shy of a 12 ounce T-Bone Steak [556 kcal.]

Also, while I'm on this topic...The Potato industry is falsely claiming in their latest ads that a Potato is "low-calorie" and they specifically state that they're 100 kcal. While this is close to true for a SMALL baked potato [128 kcal]...A small potato isn't what you get in a restraunt. What you usually get is a large potato, which weighs in at 278 kcal. For comparison, that's about the same a Petite [6 oz] Sirloin Steak which weighs in at 295 kcal with fat and 239 kcal trimmed of visible fat. And, that's before you add Margarine and Fat-Free Sour Cream...Since, just like Pasta...a Potato is inedible without something to give it actual taste. A couple pats of Margarine and 1 Tbsp Fat-Free Sour Cream and that "Healthy" Baked Potato now sports 379 kcal or about the same as an 8 ounce Sirloin Steak with the Fat [393 kcal.]