View Single Post
  #13   ^
Old Mon, Feb-23-04, 09:00

Plan: "modified" atkins
Stats: 287/206/170 Female 65"
BF:
Progress: 69%

Charron...I have not had even one side effect from taking metformin. I have heard that ppl taking the brand name...glucophage had more of the gastric effects. Not really sure why that is. By looking at your progress, it looks as though you could use a boost by taking metformin. My goal as well as others on metformin...is to lose all the weight I need to, and eliminate it, and eliminate the idea of EVER having to take insulin. I am not saying it is a cure all. As I said, obviously what you are doing is not helping you lose as much weight as you could be. I don't use taking it as a way to eat what I want. Believe me...I have totally eliminated sugar from my diet, except for a few choice fruits. I also have reduced my carbs to 30/day, and I exercise. But...the only difference between my 13 pound weight loss in the past 3 weeks, as opposed to a few months ago (when I started low carbing) and I didn't lose anything...is metformin. It does give you energy, takes away the late afternoon cravings and sleepiness, and gives you more stamina, as it helps your cells become less insulin resistant. Bottom line is...you need to get to a normal weight, or as close to one as possible, if you want to avoid the awful effects of diabetes, and the medications associated with it. Do not worry so much about bad side effects. They only have to mention them. It does not mean that it will happen to you. I found this on a website, in case you didn't see this. Check it out:
Causes of lactic acidosis: Classification of acquired causes of lactic acidosis is as follows:

Type A - Due to tissue hypoxia

Tissue hypoperfusion - Abnormal vascular tone or permeability, left ventricular failure, decreased cardiac output
Reduced arterial oxygen content - Asphyxia, hypoxemia (PaO2 <35 mm Hg), carbon monoxide poisoning, life-threatening anemia

Type B - Not due to tissue hypoxia

B1: (common disorders) - Sepsis, hepatic failure, renal failure, diabetes mellitus, cancer, malaria, cholera

B2: (drugs or toxins) - Biguanides, acetaminophen, ethanol, nalidixic acid, salicylates, isoniazid, methanol, streptozotocin, ethylene glycol, sorbitol, cyanide, parenteral nutrition, nitroprusside, lactulose, niacin, theophylline, catecholamines, cocaine, diethyl ether, vitamin deficiency, papaverine, paraldehyde

B3: (other conditions) - Strenuous muscular exercise, grand mal seizures, D-lactic acidosis

If you look at the causes that are in blue...you will see that even acetaminophen can cause lactic acidosis, as well as the vitamin niacin, salicylates, which include aspirin. Even strenuous exercise can cause it and drinking alcohol. Your MD should do a liver function test on you before you take it, or shortly after you start. I absolutely will not drink alcohol while taking metformin. That can increase the risk some. Alcohol is something that I can live w/o, fortunately for me. Please don't get me wrong...I'm just trying to open you up to the idea. I think it might be helpful to you. You could try it, and if you don't see results, stop taking it.
Have a great day!
~*Kelly*~