#13   ^
Old Sun, Feb-22-04, 08:04
Finding the Pieces

Plan: Mishmash
Stats: 365/260.0/185 Female 66
BF:
Progress: 58%

Beth
I've had SAD for years and I've done a lot of research on it and it's variants. It's something that I've tried to accept and roll with during the winter because there is nothing I've tried that will get the weight off during the winter period and believe me I've tried everything!!!

Having severe SAD I generally gain 30 pounds every winter. The first 10 magically appears in September/October, the next 10 comes on gradually and holds until February when the scale then jumps the last 10 pounds. This is regardless of the amount of exercise or limits on calories and unrelated to any eating programs/diets. Of course if I give in to the carb cravings the weight gained will go up. Before lc I used to gain 50 every winter!!!! You can see why I try not to rage against the 30 now, lol!!!

Generally, I have no problem taking the weight off and a little more during the spring and summer and until the next cycle hits. This past spring/summer that didn't happen because the winter was so long and the summer was so cloudy and light deprived.

Funny thing. I too got on Effexor in Sept. My weight had increased its 10 pounds but when I started Effexor it came right back off. I took that as an encouraging sign but the 10 pounds came back in October. Well it felt good for a while. lol!!! While Effexor is making a big difference in my spirits this winter (I started it due to the past winter of no meds and feeling almost suicidal) it hasn't transformed my fat storing body. I'm hoping it will help when the sun is stronger though. Funny you mention the Effexor not helping right now. For me it's still helping (I'm at the maximum dose) but not as much as it was in the beginning. I guess my body chemistry at this time of year is just too strong for it But I am holding on. The promise of spring is much closer now!!!

I try to post the info about the winter syndrome every year to help people who are going crazy over not losing weight and not understanding why. Some might have SAD, some might not but most people aren't aware of how their bodies might be wired. In a weird way, it's comforting and gives them the strength to hold on in the face of their stubborn winter metabolisms.