Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 19:56
~Return to Reality~

Plan: LCHF also RNY Bypass
Stats: 288.8/183.6/159 Female 5'7"
BF:I/don't/know
Progress: 81%

Hi Katlyn,

Thanks for the encouragement!

The Suzanne Somers approach says that you can have carbs, fat, protein, and fruit but they must be eaten in specific combinations.

Carbs must not be rice, sugar, potatoes, white flour, etc etc but can only be whole grains or fat-free milk products. Veggies exclude things like carrots, peas, squash, pumpkin, and corn.

Allowed types of meals are:

1. Carbs with/without veggies
2. Fat/protein with/without veggies
3. Fruit
4. Fruit followed at minimum 20 minutes later with a carbs meal

If you want to switch the type of meal you are having, leave 2 hours between them. It sounds quite complicated but isn't really once you read the book a few times.

I have oatmeal and bran for breakfast. Other than that, I eat meal type 2 for lunch and dinner - completely low-carb. I usually have 40-60 carbs a day.

I don't do this for any thyroid-related reason; I was on Atkins for over 3 months and found the lack of fibre in Atkins gave me severe constipation that even Metamucil couldn't budge. Veggies don't do the trick for me.

Good luck on finding a program that works for you! Thyroid problems are so tough to regulate and just when you think it's all balanced, it creeps up and changes again!