View Single Post
  #3   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 10:01

Plan: Atkins
Stats: 170/???/135 Female 5 foot 6 inches
BF:
Progress: 27%

I am originally from Australia (came here 6 years ago) and one of the first things that struck me was, how quickly and completely the American food industry jumps on a new thing 110%.

Low Carb products are springing up everywhere here now very very quickly. When I arrived 6 years ago I was amazed how many low fat products there were in all areas of the food industry.

Back in Australia then if you wanted to eat low fat you used your common sence and chose foods that were low fat. Rarely did you find special foods made for you.

Now that may have changed now but I'm guessing that there are no where near the choices for Low carb for them either. You just follow the diet the way Atkins recommends with good whole foods.

So yes...the industry jumps quickly and completely to provide for a new way of eating (since 1972 haha).

On a side note, I saw something that irritated me this morning. My husband asked me to get him some low carb bread. He's moving through OWL quickly and feels ready for this. So I find the section and get him some. All the loaves have a big flourescent orange sticker boasting 3 net carbs! 5 net carbs!. On the same shelf by the same brand are bagels that with the same orange sticker boast 5 gms fiber! making one immediately assume these are lo carb too. On checking the back, they did have 5 gms of fiber but also had 40 gms carbs for a 35 gm net carb!. Caveat Emptor indeed.