View Single Post
  #2   ^
Old Sat, Feb-21-04, 08:56

Plan: South Beach (Atkins prior)
Stats: 192/169/154 Male 5'9"
BF:
Progress: 61%

Unfortunately, I think it was inevitable. The food industry isn't stupid ... they will always try to give the people what they want, or at least fake it if they can.

Consider the "low fat" products of the last dozen years. I'm sure there were initially a small number number of real low fat, healthy items available to consumers. Then the big manufacturers jumped in with both feet, and now we have "low fat" food products stuffed with sugars and starches.

I fear we're going to see (or more acurately, we're starting to see) the same thing as low carb becomes mainstream. Initially there were a small number of commercially available products that were actually low carb. Now we're starting to see the food industry push "low carb" products stuffed with sugar alchohols and transfats.

As always, caveat emptor: let the buyer beware. There isn't a single item in the grocery store that I'll put in my cart without studying the nutrition label, including the so-called Atkins-friendly and other "low carb" products.